From the start of the Coronavirus pandemic, we have felt there is something instinctively wrong about asking kids to soak their hands in vodka and it turns out parents across the UK agree...
YouGov Survey Results:
Overall, there are high levels of concerned shown by parents surveyed around alcohol-based hand sanitisers:
- More than half (55%) of all parents have concerns regarding their children using alcohol-based hand sanitisers.
- This rises to 61% among parents of primary school aged children and 63% for parents of children aged 4 and under
There are several key concerns around the damaging impact to children's skin:
- 38% of all parents are concerned about hand sanitisers drying out/cracking their children’s skin, this rises to 44% of all primary school aged parents.
- Over one fifth of primary school aged parents are concerned about it aggravating a pre-existing skin condition such as eczema.
- Similar levels of concern, 21%, are shown for secondary school aged children parents.
Whilst at lower levels, there are still concerns around the effects of alcohol too:
- 8% of all mothers are concerned about alcohol being absorbed through the skin through the application of hand sanitisers.
- Nearly 1 in 10 mothers are concerned about their children consuming alcohol (e.g. eating with sanitised hands, sucking thumb etc.)
- 4% of parents of very young pre-school children (4 years and under) are concerned about inebriation from consuming it.
- Nearly 1 in 10 parents (9%) are concerned about alcohol-based hand sanitisers accidentally igniting (e.g. near a naked flame or in an over-heated car)
Although the government’s guidance of using hand sanitiser with a 60% alcohol content is a clear message, there are alternatives that are much kinder. We have worked hard to develop our alcohol-free hand sanitiser which uses the active ingredient Benzalkonium Chloride (BZK) and we are now officially certified as being 'Suitable for Sensitive Skin'. BZK has been approved by the Canadian and Singapore government and there are more and more studies being published stating its effectiveness.
We would love for you to help spread the word and we have written a blog on our website which you can read here for more information. If you think your children's school would be interested in stocking us please email email@example.com and we would be delighted to offer them an exclusive trade price.
All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 4448 adults, of which 1020 were parents with children aged 18 and under. Fieldwork was undertaken between 1st - 4th October 2020. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+).